November 7, 2015
A pushmobile is a boy powered go-cart. Cub Scout dens make their own pushmobile. Six boys work together as a team to push their pushmobile through the course to the finish line at this annual district event. The event is being held at a new location this year: Gateway Community Church (760 Clear Lake City Blvd., Webster, Texas 77598).
More Information and Registration
Training is an important part of learning to become an effective leader. The important Scouting position you hold will be easier and more effective once you develop the skills necessary to deliver a quality scouting program every Cub Scout, Boy Scout and Venturer desires. Every Scout deserves a trained leader. For more information, contact the district training chairs. See the council training schedule for a list of additional trainings offered in the council.
||Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (IOLS)
||IOLS is a hands-on course to provide adult leaders the practical outdoor skills they need to lead Scouts in the out-of-doors.
||Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders
||OLSFWL is designed to help Webelos leaders enhance the outdoor program for the Webelos Scouts in their den by teaching some basic outdoor skills as well as skills needed to complete many of the Webelos activity badges.
||Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow
||Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow is a one-day training with new ideas and resources for Cub Scout leaders and parents.
San Jacinto District Roundtable
November 12, 2015
Roundtable is a district monthly meeting typically held the second Thursday of every month (except July) at 7:00 pm House of Prayer Lutheran Church (14045 Space Center Blvd, 77062) to help unit leaders plan and carry out their own program. Roundtable is a form of supplemental training for volunteers. The objective of roundtable is to give leaders program ideas, information on upcoming events and trainings, and an opportunity to share experiences and enjoy fun and fellowship with other Scouting leaders. As a result of the Roundtable experience, unit leaders will be inspired, motivated, informed, and able to provide a stronger program for their Scouts.
|November 12, 2015
||7:20 pm: Recharter Training (every unit needs to send at least one representative)
7:00 pm: Cub Scout Roundtable
7:00 pm: Boy Scout Roundtable
7:00 pm: Varsity Roundtable
7:00 pm: Venturing / Sea Scouts Roundtable
November 12, 2015
Every unit should send at least one representative to Recharter Training. The training is being held during November roundtable at House of Prayer Lutheran Church (14045 Space Center Blvd, 77062).
Every December, all units are required to renew their affiliation with Scouting. Units are to complete the internet recharter and submit the signed paperwork by December roundtable. Some important things to remember:
- Plan ahead to get recharter done early, as this time of the year is typically very busy. It takes time to gather information and collect fees and signatures.
- Ensure all registered leaders have taken Youth Protection Training (YPT).
- Ensure the top unit leader (i.e., Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Venturing Advisor, Varsity Coach) has completed BSA training for his or her position.
- Submit internet advancements and service hours by December 31st.
- Recharter paperwork is due on or before the December 10th roundtable.
- Read the important information at www.shac.org/recharter.
Download the new San Jacinto calendar for June 2015 - June 2016 (note: the calendar was revised May 2015). Sign up for our San Jacinto Facebook page and our San Jacinto newsletter.
San Jacinto Scoop
Sign up for our electronic newsletter called the San Jacinto Scoop.
Fall Popcorn Sales
Selling gourmet popcorn is a wonderful opportunity for units to earn funds to support their entire year of Scouting. Why Sell? • Increase your unit income – 73% stays in the local area • Scouts learn life lessons by “earning their own way” • There are loads of incentives including cool prizes and college scholarships. For more information, contact Darrel Monroe.
More Information Sign up your unit to sell popcorn Popcorn Kernel Guide
There are two options to sell popcorn: traditional take order sales, and selling online to friends and family out of town:
1. Traditional take order sales are the most traditional way to sell popcorn. Scouts go door-to-door with the take order form received from your leader after you unit kick off through November 10, 2015. Customers choose the product(s) and Scouts deliver the popcorn after November 21, 2015.
2. Online popcorn sales are a great way to sell to friends and family who live far away. Online sales count toward Scout prizes and the scholarship program. Customers can pay with a credit card, and the products are shipped directly to the customer by Trail's End. Scout must create an account to sell online. Online sales run through November 10, 2015.
Popcorn Blitz Day
Blitz day is a designated day where units are encouraged to sell popcorn during take order as a group by canvasing areas in their neighborhood. Scouts that meet the items sold count indicated by each date will qualify for entry in the drawing for one of three GoPro Hero3+ Silver Edition.
- October 24, 2015 – Sell total 40 items by this date
- November 7, 2015 – Sell total 60 items by this date
To enter into drawing, email screen shot (from your cell phone) of the Scout’s sales form(s) showing the total number of qualifying items sold by 7:00 pm on the designated Blitz dates and email a picture of the forms to email@example.com. Please be sure to indicate Scout’s name, unit type and number and contact phone number to contact in case they win. The winner will be drawn and announced on the council's Facebook page the following Monday.
Note: Scouts are not required to participate in Blitz Day to enter drawing. If the required number of items are sold and met by the Blitz Day deadline, a Scout may submit an entry for the drawing.
Armand Bayou Nature Center Classes
The Armand Bayou Nature Center offers a variety of classes for Scouts.
- Tigers: Tigers in the Wild,
- Wolves: Paws on the Path
- Bear: Fur, Feathers and Ferns.
- Webelos: Into the Wild and Into the Woods
Upcoming Council Events