District Recognition History and Award Winners
1910 - Boy Scouts of America founded
1914 - Houston Council founded
1935 - Houston Council renamed Sam Houston Area Council
1938 - Colonneh Lodge formed
1964 - Bayshore District formed (included some units from San Jacinto District)
1974 - Apollo District divided to form Akokisa and Raven Districts
1976 - Akokisa renamed San Jacinto District
1987 - San Jacinto and Thunderbird Districts merge to form Eagle Trail District
2015 - Bayshore and Eagle Trail Districts merge to form San Jacinto District.
It was on September 19, 1961 when NASA announced that the $60 million manned space flight laboratory would be located in Houston, Texas, on a thousand acres of land to be made available to the government by Rice University. The land, in Harris County, borders on Clear Lake and on the Houston Light and Power Company’s saltwater canal. The laboratory would be the command center for the manned lunar landing mission and all following manned space flight missions. The Johnson Space Center, as we know it now, was established in 1961 as the Manned Spacecraft Center. Not until 1973 was the Center renamed in honor of the late President and Texas native, Lyndon B. Johnson.
As a result of the new space center what had been farm and pastureland south of Houston began to grow into a new community known as Clear Lake City. NASA sub-contractors began to move to the area, thousands of jobs became available and families began to relocate close to these jobs. As the new community and the surrounding area grew, Scouting also began to grow in the area located on the southeast side of Sam Houston Area Council.
As Scouting continued to grow in the area, Sam Houston Area Council saw the need for a Scouting District in this area. It was in September 1964 that the new Bayshore District was born in Sam Houston Area Council. Several units that had been in the San Jacinto District were now within the boundaries of the Bayshore District. These units with a total of 806 youth members became the new Bayshore District.
Along with Bayshore District, a new Colonneh Lodge Order of the Arrow Chapter was formed When a name was chosen for the new OA Chapter it was fitting that we took a look at what had brought so many of us together in the southeast corner of Colonneh Lodge. Obviously that was the arrival of NASA and the related aerospace business that built or caused the building of the surrounding community and supported so many of our Scouting families. Thus, it was fitting that we take the Native American name “Ani-Lati”, meaning in English, “Sky People.”
During this time, NASA was working on the Apollo program. This program would result in the first humans landing on the moon in July of 1969. These were exciting times in the world but were especially exciting in our area where so many were directly involved.
The area has continued to grow with the addition of many petrochemical related businesses and the expansion of the Port of Houston in the north and east ends of our District. We find that today not all of our Scouting families are supported because of NASA. We also find it is still important that we remember that our center and our beginning remains the NASA area.
Bay Area Boy Scouts: A History of Boy Scouting in Seabrook and El Lago areas
As told by Charles Wheelwright, Sept. 30, 2004, El Lago Historical Society. The following content has been edited for clarity and continuity.
Troop 95 started in February 1938, as part of the San Jacinto District. It was sponsored by the Seabrook United Methodist Church and met at the Seabrook Community Center. It is the oldest troop in the Bay Area. Kenneth Royal was the Scoutmaster from 1950 to 1962.
In 1962, Charles (Chuck) Wheelwright became Scoutmaster of Troop 95 and served until 1968. Don Holbrook then became Scoutmaster of Troop 95.
In 1968, Charles Wheelwright and Maynard Dalton started Post 95, a high adventure unit. The High Adventure Unit was for boys 16 or older who were interested in mountain climbing, white water rafting, river canoeing, long distance hiking (a three day, 50-mile hike, four days, 75-mile hike and seven-day, 100-mile hike) and other more adventuresome outdoor activities. Mr. Wheelwright served as the Post Advisory.
Troop 950 formed in 1963 at the old Harris County Boys Home on FM 528, later called NASA Road 1. Harold Christman was Scoutmaster until 2002; he passed away in 2002. The Troop became inactive later that year due to the lack of finding a new Scoutmaster.
In September 1964, the Bayshore District was formed, composed of Troops 95, 595, 579 and 950. It was carved from the San Jacinto District.
Scoutmaster Charles Wheelwright helped start Troop 795 and 895. Charted in 1966, Troop 795 was an El Lago troop sponsored by Ed White Elementary School. Scoutmaster Bob Span led the meetings held at Ed White School. Shortly after Troop 795 was established, Pack 795 was chartered in September 1967. It was also sponsored by Ed White Elementary School and their meetings were there. After the pack formed, four dens held their meetings in individual homes in El Lago.
Troop 895 was an El Jardin troop sponsored by Bay Elementary School. Dan Standish was the Scoutmaster with meetings held at the Seabrook Community Center. By this time, Troop 95 no longer met in the Seabrook Community Center but in the Seabrook United Methodist Church.
Troops were defined by location, but the boys could choose the troop of their choice to join. During this period, each troop would average 45 to 60 boys at a time.
By 1972, the Bay Area had grown and there was a need for more troops. Troop 952 was started in 1972. Troop 953 began in 1974. Both were located in Clear Lake Forest and sponsored by the homeowners association. Ken Pierce was Scoutmaster of Troop 952; Mike Hazelings was Scoutmaster of Troop 953. Both Troops met at the Scout House on Baronridge.
Over the years, the number of children of Scouting age has dropped. Along with the number of troops in the area has also declined. Both 795 and 895 were deactivated in the early 1970’s. Today only Troops 95 and 952 are active. Troop 95 is the Seabrook troop. Since the loss of Troop 795, Pack 795 is now Pack 952 and supports Troop 952. The El Lago Pack is now Pack 952. Troop 952 serves the Taylor Lake and EL Lago communities.
Venture Crew 952 is operating in Clear Lake Forest, meeting at the Scout House on Baronridge. It was organized in 2003.
Venture Crew 95 was formed in Seabrook in September 2004, for boys and girls interested in high adventure. The unit meets at Seabrook United Methodist Church and is sponsored by the church. The unit is supported by Troop 95.